Friday, February 8, 2013

The Ankle of Doom

For years I have had problems with my ankle. Most people who are reading this probably already know that fact. :) I asked my parents if I could start dance again, and their one requirement was that my ankle got looked at first. I agreed to this not knowing what was to come. I went to our family doctor and she sent me to go get x-rays and to an orthopedic.The next morning I went to go get the x-rays. After telling the nurse that my birthday was in the nineteenth month, (I told them my birthday was 19/7/97) I went to x-ray room. When I walked in the nurse said, "Who needs a foot and who needs an ankle?" I was very confused! Then I realized that it was all students in the room. That calmed me down a little bit. :) I got the x-rays and then went home. The next Monday, I went to the orthopedic and he sent me to go get and MRI because the x-ray did not show anything. I got the MRI done the next day. That is a miserable experience. I had to lay still for half an hour and listen to country music because that is what the nurse had on in the station, which is all I could hear. Just to let those of you who do not know me as well, sitting still is not one of my fortes...at all. A couple minutes is incredibly hard, let alone thirty of them. Today I went back to the orthopedic with my MRI results. It turns out all of this pain has been caused by a little bit of inflammation in my ankle joint. The cure for that was a steroid shot. Before the doctor could give me the shot he had to numb my ankle, and that process is done by freezing it. I am not kidding. He sprayed a really, really, really cold spray on my ankle and then rubbed some yellow stuff on there. (I think it was an antiseptic of some sort.) Then I felt a little pinch and a weird sensation in my ankle. I knew in my mind it was the needle, but it felt really weird! Then there was another pinch and it was over. The doctor made me look away so I never saw the needle, which is probably for the best. This is a very special shot, because now I am cleared to do whatever I want, as long as I put ice on my ankle after doing these activities and I also do not have to go to physical therapy. :) And the peasants rejoice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment