Thursday, March 24, 2016

Faith like a Child

Last night, I was at a friends house for Passover/college group. After we ate and danced and generally enjoyed our socialization, we sang together. One of the songs we sang was "Jesus, Thank You" by Sovereign Grace. Here is the link to the lyrics. As I was sitting in my friend's living room, surrounded by my best friends, I noticed the youngest child singing along. "Your blood has washed away my sin. Jesus, thank you. The Father's wrath completely satisfied. Jesus, thank you. Once your enemy, now seated at your table. Jesus, thank you." he sang with all of his heart. As I listened to his little voice singing, my heart melted. I wondered how much he truly understood, or if all of this was being taken solely by faith.
God calls us to have faith like a child. In Matthew 18:1-4 it says, "At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
What a calling! As followers of Christ, we are called to be like small children, who the world typically looks at as silly.
Another aspect is believing what your parents tell you, even when you don't understand. Most rules don't make sense to small children, or big children, but all have to obey anyways. This is faith that your parents are right, because you trust them. This is the trust God calls us to. He is our Heavenly Father and we should always trust Him and have faith in whatever He says is true, even if we don't fully understand.
Just like the little one, sitting in the middle of the floor rolling around in a blanket, we are to worship God with joy in our hearts, and faith. Faith like a child.

1 comment:

  1. "Generally enjoyed our socialization" ~ I have a feeling only a homeschooler would say that, and it made me crack up.

    And now that I've made a comment that has nothing to do with the message of your post, I have nothing else to say. I was encouraged, I can say that. :D

    ReplyDelete