Thursday, January 2, 2014

WICKED

On December 18th, 2013, I went to go see my first Broadway musical. To make things better, the show was WICKED. WICKED!!!!!  I fell in love with the music to the show, but had never seen it, so this was a big adventure. On top of that, I got to go see it with my "sister." (we're not really sisters, just super duper best friends!)

It was in downtown Chicago, so it took a while to get there, and we planned on eating dinner before the show downtown. I got ready and Sharyssa and Mrs. Greene arrived to drive us. Sharyssa and I had decided that we were going to dress up for the occasion, since it was both of ours first Broadway shows. The car ride felt like it took ages, but in reality it was pretty fast. We had to walk across the street to get to the restaurant, which was on the seventh floor of Macy's. Sharyssa and I looked pretty funny walking through downtown Chicago in formal dresses (and Sharyssa in heels) with both of us not liking all of the people pushing around us. We laughed at the thought of everyone who grew up in the city watching the two of us try to maneuver around the people. :D

After a lovely dinner, we pushed our way back to the theater and waited in a very crowded entry way, until they opened the doors. We excitedly went up the stairs and began a very long wait to get into our seats. The cast was running behind, so the wait was longer than usual. Finally we were able to sit down and admire the gorgeous theater and stage. The stage was just that, gorgeous!!! There was a giant dragon above the stage that had light up red eyes and moved with smoke effects. On the sides of the stage there were gears (facing the audience) that spun when they moved in and out. The curtain was a map of the land of Oz and the Emerald city glowed with green lights.

You can only imagine the excitement going through me and Sharyssa as we sat there waiting, and waiting, and waiting to see one of the most popular (if not the most popular) Broadway shows. When the lights dimmed and the orchestra began playing, my heart was beating out of my chest. Flying monkeys started swinging off all sorts of things on the set and the chorus began singing "No one mourns the Wicked." Sharyssa and I were holding hands through the first song and both squeezing with excitement.

Intermission came way too soon, but ended with my favorite song, "Defying Gravity." I was even more in love with the show than I was before, which I did not think possible. The cast was phenomenal and the show itself was beyond compare!

The show ended with a very dramatic finale and bows (of course!). There were about one thousand five hundred people at the show!!! Obviously, it took quite a while to get to the doors. Once we pushed through, we stopped at a little coffee shop, where I got some boba, then headed back to the car. It was all over. That brilliant night had ended. If you asked me if I would do it again, I would say "YES!!!" in a heartbeat!






2 comments:

  1. That was a very special night with my little sis. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you guys had a great time (you know, because I doubted so many times ;) and you both look lovely in your formal dresses.

    I like your new background by the way.

    ReplyDelete