Thursday, March 22, 2012

Giddyups

So, this morning one of my assignments in school was to design a garden fit for Louis XIV.  He liked a lot of topiary's to say the least. There were, of course, some flowers in his gardens too though. One of my favorite flowers are Daffodils a.k.a Giddyups. I did not realize that I didn't type daffodils, but giddyups on my assignment. I decided to leave it that way, because no one is going to read it except my family and they all know what it means already.

So how did these bright yellow flowers get their curious name...well...I should say khyrious name. When I was about 7 and Caleb was about 9, Dad took us to the grocery store, which is not a rare occasion. There were beautiful jonquil daffodils on the islands in the parking lot, which is also incredibly normal. Little me, riding on his back, asked Dad "What are those flowers called?" I assume he did not hear my question and promptly replied "Giddyup!" as we ran across the parking lot.  I believed for years that is what they were really called and still call them that to this day.

1 comment: