Monday, June 10, 2013

Prom and Prejudice

The title makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I am doing a summer reading program at the library where after you read for so long or so many pages (depending on which you choose. I chose the amount of time.) you get a prize. I only know the first two prizes because that is all I have gotten. I just started it today, so that makes it quite difficult. After you read two hours, you get a piece of candy and after four hours you get a free book. This is where prom and prejudice come in. :) The book I chose off of their little cart was a book titled 'Prom and Prejudice'. It is basically 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen in the setting of a current day private high school. It is very amusing and hard to put down if you know the original story, and probably even if you didn't. The characters have the same names, so it is not hard to figure out who is who from the original. I really do not like British literature, so reading 'Pride and Prejudice' was very boring to me, but this is quite intriguing. It puts it in words that high schoolers today can understand and makes the story relatable.

It really was not as strange as you suspected, I am sure, but at the same time, you are all probably used to...well...odd titles by now. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, it sounds interesting. It's too bad you don't like British literature. I love the way Jane Austen words things and I quite enjoy conversing in like mannerisms. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason I don't like British literature is because I had to read A LOT of it for school and now I was just burned out when I got to Jane Austen.

      Delete